We are delighted to return to Grim’s Dyke Hotel, W.S. Gilbert’s former home in Harrow Weald, to celebrate 100 years of the Gilbert and Sullivan Society.
We'll be staying in the lovely home of William and Kitty Gilbert, tasting the excellent food of the Grim’s Dyke chefs and enjoying the wonderful gardens.
- Friday night black tie centenary celebration dinner
- Celebrity concert featuring Elinor Jane Moran and Lawrence Olsworth-Peter
- A new John Cannon slide presentation, created and re-mastered by Laurence Leng
- A guided coach tour of the local area through the eyes of the Gilberts around 1900, to include visits to Gilbert’s grave at St John’s Church, Stanmore, and his memorial inside All Saint’s Church, Harrow Weald
- Costumed professional performance of Iolanthe by Opera Anywhere
- Time of reflection featuring some Sullivan hymns, led by John Balls and Arthur Barrett
- A new illustrated talk, specially written for us by Vincent Daniels, about how cultural activities in South Kensington, including international and Japanese exhibitions, influenced Patience and The Mikado
- Hearing from our Vice-Presidents and delegates from our affiliated organisations across the world
- A concert featuring young artistes from the Royal Northern College of Music
- A scratch come-and-sing Trial by Jury with organised principals
- A display from our archive featuring 100 years of the Society
There is also the opportunity to extend your trip to Sunday night. This will include another night's accommodation, Ruddigore opera dinner from Grim’s Dyke Opera, and breakfast on Monday morning. This will be billed separately by the hotel at a discounted price (tbc), but must be booked before Grim's Dyke opens this offer to the general public, around six weeks before the convention. If you book later, you will be charged the full price and cannot be guaranteed the same room as for during the convention.
Residential places for the convention (Friday to Sunday afternoon) cost
- £500 per person for a single room
- £450 per person sharing a double or twin room
- £350 per person without accommodation
For partial attendance, please email our Treasurer (email address below), explaining which parts of the convention you would like to attend.
At present, residential places for the Convention are fully booked with a small waiting list. There are spaces for day visitors and it is possible to stay at a nearby hotel and join us for the activities.
For up to date information about places at the Convention or to join our waiting list, please contact our Hon. Treasurer, John Tritton on [email protected]
Please do not try to contact Grim's Dyke direct for places or information. They do not have all the information about bookings and will refer you back to us.
Grim’s Dyke Hotel
(sat nav HA3 6SE)