Many thanks to everyone who has been enormously supportive as we transition our membership subs to the new system.
Your patience and good humour have been much appreciated.
If you are a Life member, please be reassured that your membership is set to expire in the year 2999!
Please note: we are having considerable trouble with Barclays bank.
While we switch to a bank which is more supportive (and more ethical) please do not put any payments through our website.
Our apologies for any inconvenience.
There are several options for payment.
- For new members or members who are currently paid-up: easiest for us is to set up a direct debit (£20 for UK members and £25 for overseas members using a UK bank account - £5 less than the 'standard' membership fee). Subs are all handled automatically by the GoCardless system, which is integrated with the database and website, and covered by the direct debit guarantee. You'll be notified by email each year before the payment is collected, and your membership will automatically renew each year, unless you cancel.
- If you're a paid-up member, log-in at the top right of the website using your email address (you may have to do 'reset password' if it's your first time) and go to 'My account' then 'Membership'.
- If you're joining the society, click on the 'join' button and follow the instructions.
- If your membership has lapsed, it's best to email membership @ gilbertandsullivansociety.org.uk and we'll set the system up to take your direct debit properly.
- If you currently pay by standing order, and prefer not to switch to direct debit, please send me an email so I can note your payment manually into your membership record. Please do check that your payment date is set for 1 April; late payments are really hard to untangle from other payments into the bank account!
- If you prefer to pay annually (£25 in the UK or £30 for overseas members), you can pay on the website using your credit or debit card. The payment is handled by Stripe, which is a similar system to PayPal. It is possible to set up an annual payment on your credit card, which will last until your card expires.
- You can pay by bank transfer: Barclays business account, The Gilbert and Sullivan Society, sort code 20-37-16 account number 60923419 (please give your full name as a reference so we can be sure to credit the right person).
- You can post me a cheque payable to 'The Gilbert and Sullivan Society. Please write your name on the back, and 'membership subs'. I will process your membership manually before forwarding your cheque to our treasurer to pay into the bank account. My address is 8 Milton Court, Ickenham, Uxbridge, UB10 8ND, UK.
If you do not have a UK bank account
The overseas standard membership rate is £30.
- We can't set up a direct debit - unfortunately, the system only works with UK bank accounts.
- Individual members can pay using your credit card - as above, you will have to log in.
- Or you can pay by bank transfer, details above.
If you're struggling with any of these, please contact me at membership @ gilbertandsullivansociety . org . uk (you'll need to delete the spaces) and I will work out how to help.
To set up a direct debit
First, log-in to the website (top right of this webpage) to get into your account.
The website is linked to the Gilbert and Sullivan Society membership database. You can set up your own account (using a password of your choice) by clicking 'Log in' at the top right of the web page. Fill in the email address which is associated with your membership, and you'll be able to create a password.
(You can't use an email address which isn't linked to your membership record - please email membership @ gilbertandsullivansociety. org. uk if you need to add an email address to your membership.)
If your payment method is linked to the database (either with a credit card payment or a direct debit), you're all set.
However, if you haven't linked a payment method, once you have set up your account, you will see a message in a yellow box:
"Your membership subscription is set to expire because you haven't set a payment method"
There's a grey box below that, inviting you to 'Manage your membership'.
We'd be most grateful if you would click on that and set up a direct debit for your annual subscription.
The direct debit system is securely managed by GoCardless, which is used by many other organisations much bigger than the Gilbert and Sullivan Society. It allows your subscription to run automatically - so there's far less work for us, and much less chance of things going wrong!
GoCardless is covered by the Direct Debit Guarantee, and you can cancel any time. If you change banks using the switching service, your direct debit will follow you.
If you've already paid your subscription for the year (cheques and standing orders take a while to process - one reason why we're encouraging members to switch to direct debit) you will not be charged until next year.
If you haven't already paid, the direct debit will be taken on your renewal date, 31 March.
Contrary to our initial information, your standing order will not be cancelled when you fill in the direct debit form. You must cancel your standing order or you may end up paying twice. (If that happens, please get in touch and we'll arrange a refund.)
We can't take direct debits from overseas banks.
If you prefer to pay using your credit or debit card
You should be able to use the 'Stripe' system to pay by debit or credit card. Stripe is very similar to PayPal - it is safe and secure.
There is some confusion over whether you set up a repeat payment (ie your credit card will be billed every year until you change cards) or a one-off. We haven't quite unpicked this, so please get in touch if you have questions.
Overseas affiliated organisations cannot pay subscriptions using Stripe (we aren't quite sure why!) so please contact us to arrange payment.
If you have any trouble with your payments, please email membership @ gilbertandsullivansociety. org. uk